TCS has revised its whole hiring process in 2018. The recruitment process is nowhere related to the one that is supposed to be in past.
Earlier it is used to be a tremendous mass recruiter and it is no more now. The level of hiring has decreased, and the level of compensation has increased.
TCS recently came to our for campus recruitment process.
Designation: Software Engineer
Package: 5 LPA
Detailed Recruitment Process:
Pre-screening Test:Pre-Screening test will be conducted for initial elimination over the pool of students that have registered for the drive.
- Students of streams B.Tech-CSE/IT, M.Tech-CSE/IT, MCA, M.Sc Computer Science, B.Tech-ECE, M.Tech-ECE, B.Tech-EEE, B.Tech-Biotechnology, B.Tech Mechatronics who have throughout 60% without any standing arrears were eligible to apply for the drive.
- So around 800 students had registered for the drive.
- The company may ask the university/college to conduct the pre-screening test according to the number of students applied for the drive. In our case, it asked because 800 is a big number.
Finally, 110 students were shortlisted to sit for actual placement drive of TCS.
Actual Recruitment pattern:
Round 1: (Cognitive & Language Assessment and Level 1 Programming/Debugging skills – online test)
- There were four sections on the first round which had English Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Automata Programming.
- All the four sections were newly introduced in this year’s TCS placement test, especially for Associate Role.
- The total time of the test was 112 minutes.
Platform used: AMCAT
- All even numbers from 2 to 98 inclusive the both, are to be multiplied together. What is the unit digit of the product?
Answer: b) 0
Let us look at the sequence of the multiplications,
2 * 4 * 6 * 8 *10* 12 * 14 * 16 * 18 *…* 98
If we look closely we will find that the units place of every number forms a sequence of 2, 4, 6 ,8 and 0 multiplying to a number whose units place is always 0 and in all we get 0. So the unit digit of final number = 0.
- 10 programmers are able to type 10 lines in 10 minutes. How many programmer are required to type 60 lines in 60 minutes?
d) None of the above
Answer: a) 10
This is a simple question of logical reasoning. If 10 programmers can type 10 lines of code in 10 minutes then to type 60 lines of code, in 60 minutes, the same 10 coders will be required, since the lines of code and time are in proportion
- Anil works for 8 straight days and rest on the 9th day. If he starts his work on Monday, then on which day he gets his 12th rest day?
Answer: c) Wednesday
Anil works for 8 days and rests on 9th day. In total 9 days are to be processed 12 times = 12 * 9 = 108.
If we calculate according to the week, we get 108 / 7 = remaining 3 days. So if Anil starts working on Monday, he will rest on third day of the week which is Wednesday.
- Overfishing is a serious environmental issue. The scientists were able to determine that if the net of a trawler has a mesh size of ‘x’ cm (a square mesh), then the percentage of fish entering the net is caught in the net is expressed in form of the quadratic equation, 100 – 0.04x^2- 0.24x. For example, if the mesh size is zero, 100% of the fish that enter the net will be caught. A trawler with a net with a square mesh, that was suspect of using an illegal size net, dropped its net to the ocean floor near the Lakshadweep and the coast guard, arrested the crew. It was later looked at the size of the fish caught and estimated that for the net used by the trawler, at least 97.8% of the fish entering the net would be caught. What is the maximum value of x for the net used by the trawler?
Answer: d) 5
According to the question,
for few values of x, the total fish caught is 97.8%. So
=> 100 – 0.04x^2- 0.24x = 97.8
=> 0.04x^2 + 0.24x = 2.2
=> 4x^2+ 24x = 220
=> x^2+ 6x – 55 = 0
Solving, we get x = 5 and -11
So, the value of x = 5 has to be positive and hence the answer.
- The rejection rate for Audi production was 4 per cent, for Mercedes it was 8 per cent and for the 2 cars combined it was 7 per cent. What was the ratio of Audi production?
Answer: c) 3/1
Using the simple weighted average formula we get,
(4x + 8y)/(x+y) = 7
or, 4x + 8y = 7x + 7y
or, a/b = 3/1
- A team of 11 is needed to be formed who are to be selected from 5 men and 11 women, with the restriction of selecting not more than 3 men. In how many ways can the selection be done?
Answer: d) 2256
- There are two bags containing white and black marbles. In the first bag there are 8 white marbles and 6 black marbles and in the second bag, there are 4 white marbles and 7 black marbles. One marble is drawn at random from any of these two bags. Find the probability of this marble being black.
Answer: c) 41/77
Probability of drawing a black ball from the first bag is = 6C1 / 14C1
Probability of drawing a black ball from the second bag is = 7C1 / 11C1
Total probability = 1/2 * (6C1/14C1) * (7C1/11C1) = 41/77
- There is a city where all 100% votes are registered. Among this 60% votes for Congress and 40% votes for BJP. Ram, gets 75% of congress votes and 8% of BJP votes. How many votes did Ram get?
a) 48.2 %
b) 56.6 %
c) 42.8 %
d) 64.4 %
Answer: a) 48.2 %
Let the total number if votes = 100. So Ram gets,
75% of 60 = 60 * 0.75 = 45 votes
8% of 40 = 40 * 0.08 = 3.2 votes
Thus total number of votes that Ram gets = 48.2 %
- John is faster than Peter. John and Peter each walk 24 km. Sum of the speeds of John and Peter is 7 km/h. Sum of time taken by them is 14 hours. Find John’s speed.
a) 4 km/h
b) 5 km/h
c) 3 km/h
d) 7 km/h
Answer: a) 4 km/h
We know that John’s speed is greater than Peter’s speed and the sum of there speed is 7.
So the combinations are = (6, 1), (5, 2), (4, 3)
Now checking from the options if John’s speed is equal to 4, then Peter’s speed is 3,
or, the time taken by them = 24/4 + 24/3 = 14 hours.
- If f(x) = 2x + 2 what is the value of f(f(3))?
Answer: d) 18
f(f(3)) = 2(f(3)) + 2
=> 2(2(3) + 2) + 2
=> 16 + 2 = 18
The English Comprehension section had 22 questions which must be answered in 22 minutes. (Questions were easy but time-consuming.)
- The Critical Reasoning had 15 questions which must be answered in 15 minutes. (Questions were easy.)
- The Data Interpretation had 15 questions which must be answered in 15 minutes. (Questions were bit tricky.)
- The Coding section may contain 2-3 questions which will be of Automata type or Dynamic programming and must be answered in a maximum time limit of 1 hr-1 hr 30 min.
- In our case 2 coding questions of simple automata were there and time given was 1 hr.
- Question 1 : Sorting and printing alternate numbers in a given array.
- Question 2 : GCD of all the numbers in a given array.
Round 2: Level 2 coding & Programming skills – online test
Three questions were there, Questions were from Dynamic Programming. (Practicing the section of Dynamic Programming from GeeksforGeeks site will directly help a lot.)
Total 20 out of 38 students were shortlisted to sit for the next round.
Round 3: Technical Interview
If we have good domain knowledge and concepts like Java OOPS, Database Tables and SQL Queries, OS deadlock and Critical Section, Paging, Data structures, Complexity of a code, we can easily crack this interview.
Level of questions were easy.
Total 15 out of 20 students were shortlisted for HR round.
HR discussion. Just formality and nothing more. This kind of process is only for associates role.