Accenture Off Campus | 12 Dec 2018 | Bangalore
Hello, I had had the Cognizant Technology Solutions Off Campus Interview. The presentation by the company was pretty simple yet very informative. They were very energetic and interactive.The pre-placement talk was followed by the online exam, which was in the AMCAT model. There were:
16 aptitude questions- 16 mins
25 critical reasoning- 35 mins
7 automata questions (5 syntax/ logical error correction + 2 coding)- 20 mins
Since it was in the AMCAT model, the difficulty level kept increasing as the number of correct answers increasing. I was able to manage all the sections pretty well. Just need to keep track of time and only answer what you know well. In the automata section, most of us solved 3 questions in total and mostly it was the syntax correction questions. All the 7 questions are simple but the time limit is too tight.
- A train running at 5 km/hr and 125 meters long passes a man moving in the same direction in which the train is going, in 10 seconds. The speed of the train is:
a) 50 km/hr
b) 54 km/hr
c) 55 km/hr
d) 60 km/hr
Answer: a) 50 km/hr
The relative speed of the train to man = (125 / 10) m/s
= 25 / 2 m/s
= (25/2 * 18/5) km/hr
= 45 km/hr
Let the relative speed of the train be x km/hr.
Therefore, x-45 = 5 or x = 50 km/hr
- A sum fetched a total simple interest of Rs. 4016.25 at the rate of 9 % p.a. in 5 years. What is the sum of the money or the principal amount?
a) Rs. 4462.50
b) Rs. 8032.50
c) Rs. 8900
d) Rs. 8925
Answer: d) Rs. 8925
- In an election between two candidates, one got 55% of the total valid votes and got 20% invalid votes. At the end of the day when the total number of votes were counted, the total number was found to be 7500. So what was the total number of valid votes that the winning candidate got, was:
Answer: d) 2700
Since 20% of the votes were invalid, 80% of the votes were valid = 80% of 7500 = 6000 votes were valid
Since one candidate got 55% of the total valid votes, then the second candidate must have 45% of the votes = 0.45 * 6000 = 2700 votes
- January 1, 2008, is Tuesday. What day would lie on Jan 1, 2009?
Answer: a) Thursday
In such type of questions, one needs to identify the type of year, i.e., whether the year is a normal year or is it a leap year.
So the year 2008 was a leap year. So, it has to have 2 odd days. The year following 2008 is 2009 so the first day of the year would be two days ahead of what it was in 2008. So 1st Jan 2009 would be a Thursday.
- A whole number n which when divided by 4 gives 3 as remainder. What will be the remainder when 2n is divided by 4?
Answer: c) 2
According to the question,
n = 4q + 3
therefore, 2n = 8q + 6
or, 2n = 4(2q + 1 ) + 2
Thus, we get when 2n is divided by 4, the remainder is 2.
- In a 100 m race, Aman takes 36 seconds to complete the race and Bijay takes 45 seconds. By what distance Aman beats Bijay in the race?
a) 20 meters
b) 25 meters
c) 22.5 meters
d) 9 meters
Answer: b) 20 meters
The difference in the time of the race completion = 45 – 36 = 9 sec.
So the distance covered by Bijay in 9 sec = 100/45 * 9 = 20 meters.
Therefore Aman beats Bijay by 20 meters
- Identify the odd number from the series: 835, 734, 642, 751, 853, 981, 532
Answer: d) 751
Looking at the series closely we see that in each number, the difference between the first and last digit of each number is the middle number, except 751
- In a group of 6 men and 4 women, four are to be selected. In how many different ways can they be selected such that at least one man should be there in the group?
a) 209 ways
b) 194 ways
c) 205 ways
d) 120 ways
Answer: a) 209 ways
A group of 4 has to be selected with at least one man So this can be done in
(1 man and 3 women), (2 men and 2 women), (3 men and 1 women) and 4 men.
The number of ways in which this can be done is
(6C1 x 4C3) + (6C2 x 4C2) + (6C3 x 4C1) + (6C4)
On solving this we get 209 ways in which these combinations can be obtained.
- A box contains 15 marbles out of which 4 are white, 5 are red and 6 are blue. Three balls are to be drawn at random from the bag. What is the probability that all of them are red is:
Answer: d) 2/91
The number of ways in which all the three balls would be red = 5C3 / 15C3
= 10/455 = 2/91
- X, Y and Z can do a piece of work in 20, 30 and 60 days respectively depending on their capacity of doing work. If X is assisted by Y and Z on every third day, then in how X will complete the work?
a) 12 days
b) 15 days
c) 16 days
d) 18 days
Answer: b) 15 days
We need t first count the amount of work done in 2 days by X
X can do a piece of work in 20 days
So, in 2 days he can do = 1/20 * 2 = 1/10
Amount of work done by X, Y and Z in 1 day = 1/20 + 1/30 + 1/60 = 1/10
So, amount of work done in 3 days = 1/10 + 1/10 = 1/5
So the work will be completed in 3 * 5 = 15 days.
After the first round, 649 students were selected for the interview process. The interview was held on the next day, with 100 technical panels and 25 HR panels.
For the interview, you just have to be very calm, know your resume really really well and have a very pleasant attitude.
I was asked al about my projects and there were many questions that I couldn’t answer and yet, I was called in for the HR. Cognizant focuses on the way you present yourself and on your willingness to learn. It’s okay if you don’t know an answer but never let that pull you down. They keep the entire interview process easy- going and you will be very comfortable with the interviewer.
Technical Question (Java) :
1. How to make a List as Read Only List?
2. Difference between iterator and list iterator?
3. What design patterns you know in Java?
4. What is a Singleton class?
5. Difference between String builder and String buffer?
6. How to remove duplicate elements from a list in java?
7. How to clone objects?
8. What are the methods in object class?
9. What are implicit objects in JSP?
10. How to open a database connection? How the application understands from where the query is to be read?
11. Can you write a query in JSP file or a controller?
12. What is MVC in your application?
13. How to use Log4j logger?
14. What are the log levels?
15. What is Spring bean definition?
16. What is a bean life cycle?
17. What are the Spring bean scopes?
18. What is final keyword in Java?
19. What is a front controller?
20. What is the difference between forward and redirect in Spring MVC?
21. What are servlets?
The HR questions were all very basic. You need to read well about the company and give them a very impressive answer. Keep it simple. Keep it real and everything